Superfood your muffins
If you go on a strange food diet then you'll need some cakes at some point - I've found muffins to be a bit of a life saver over the years, especially on the wheat free stints. Here's the basic muffin recipe:
Preheat your oven to as hot as it can go. Have about 12 muffin cases arranged in a muffin tin.
- 250g self raising flour (I use a wheat free blend, with some variations)
- A few teaspoons of sugar (experiment with this, if you make 10 muffins allow half a teaspoon per muffin, more if you can't stand it). Sometimes you can go sugar free, depending on your flavour.
- A teaspoon of baking powder
- A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, optional if you don't have one
- 3 fl oz extra virgin olive oil, or other health giving oil
- 9 fl oz of milk or orange juice ( enough fluid to make a slack mix)
Then you add your flavours, this is the superfood bit.
- a handful of chia seeds (Mexican endurance runners like this apparently)
- a handful of sunflower seeds, or other seeds
- 100g of nuts, walnuts or pecans or whatever
- 100g of dried fruit, a goji berry mix is good
- 50g of chocolate chips .... If you need them
Mix up all the dry ingredients in one bowl, mix up all the wet ingredients in a jug, then mix them all together - you're aiming for a slightly slack mix. Divvy up the mix into the muffin cases, lower the oven temperature to about 160c (fan oven), and bake for 20 minutes, until they are firm but fair.
Muffins are foolproof and these ones contain everything you need to put a smile on your face.