I'm getting into vegan food these days after feeling better on a dairy free diet. Here's a very simple pumpkin soup. I like to serve it with drops of Tabasco on top - this gives you a nice little zing at the beginning.
Ingredients - serves quite a lot of people
2x medium sized butternut squash, peeled and chopped up
2x onions, chopped up
2x celery sticks, chopped up
a good pinch of cumin
a good pinch of ground coriander
a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper
about 1.5 litres of stock
extra virgin olive oil
1. Gently soften the onions and celery in olive oil.
2. Add the spices and the butternut squash and fry for a couple more minutes.
3. Add the stock - enough to just cover the squash. (It's up to you really depending on how thick you like it)
4. Simmer gently until the butternut squash is soft.
5. Use a hand blender to get everything blended.
6. Season to taste.
This is a very tasty soup.