Nituke
I'm not even sure if nituke is a proper word - it's a dish I came across when looking at macrobiotic cookbooks. Anyway, I like cooking things with weird names and this side dish has become a regular fixture in my meal plans. It's basically braised vegetables and it's very easy to do. I like to cook it with carrot, celery and Chinese leaf. Here's what I do:
Ingredients
3 carrots, cut into chunks
4 sticks of celery, cut into chunks
1 clove of garlic, mashed
1 red onion, cut into chunks
1/2 a whole Chinese leaf, chopped up
some chilli sauce
olive oil
soy sauce of some kind
toasted sesame seeds (if you can be bothered)
a splash of water
Method
1. Put a splash of oil in a saucepan or casserole dish.
2. Add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery
3. Turn the heat on, put the lid on
4. Let the vegetables fry gently for a minute or two
5. Add all the other ingredients apart from the Chinese leaf and sesame seeds
6. Let the vegetables steam gently for 10-15 minutes in the pan - take care not to allow it dry out and burn
7. Add the Chinese leaf and cook for a further 5 minutes
8. Add the sesame seeds at the end
And that's it basically. Braising vegetables in this way has infinite variations. It's a good way to do sweet and sour vegetables, and some curried vegetables - cabbage and coconut is very good done like this.
Comments
I've made my own approximations of this in the years since it disappeared from the local restaurant's menu and I've done better with the rice base than with the vegetables, I may use your post as inspiration to try again and do better with the braised veg. Thanks.